9.8.12

Papercut pattern Circle Top

This was one of those fabrics where I clicked to buy a little too hastily.  I was buying other fabric and saw this one and grabbed it.  Later it the day it registered...it didn't say "linen"...more something along the lines of "linen-like texture".  Where I live, it is mostly too hot for synthetics.  So here I was with a sheer, summery fabric that would be too hot for summer.

Instead, I decided to use it for a beachy sort of throw-over, for windy times at the beach, using the Papercut Patterns Circle Top.  The pattern consists of a large circle, with armholes cut out and sleeves inserted.  The top of the circle forms a hood.



The front can be wrapped closed or left to drape open.  My picture does not show this so well, but you can see this effect at the Papercut patterns shop.


The edges of the circle are bound.  I used my coverstitch to bind the edges.  Half of the binding turned out perfectly, and half didn't really work at all, but the material frays and this was a superquick Friday night project whilst the family was at my son's footy game, so I am leaving it as is.  I don't know how to bind in a circle, so I cut a little bit out and made a loop closure, which you can see (if you know where to look) at the top of the hood in the first photo.  This is not the neatest solution, so I'll have to think up something else for next time.

10 comments:

Mary said...

That is a wonderful pairing of fabric and pattern. Lovely photos too!

Evelyne said...

Love that fabric and pattern - perfect for summer. Looks great!!!

fabric epiphanies said...

Great fabric and pattern. I have seen a lot of colourful stripes around for spring.

Bri said...

Well it is pretty fabric to look at, unfortunate about the fabric content but it looks great as this cover up!

Mary Nanna said...

I am always thrilled to the bones of my thrifty body to see a blunder fabric buy have its redemption.

Amy said...

I keep looking at this pattern! Do you think it would work in a sweatshirt knit? (Sorta like french terry... that's what I keep imagining... I really need a throw-on like that.) It's a very pretty fabric visually. I can see why you tossed it in the cart!

liza jane said...

I've been eyeing that pattern, too. I like the idea in the comment above of using a sweatshirt fabric. Very pretty fabric, even though it's hot!

katherine h said...

I think it would be fabulous in a french terry...that would give it a groovy 70s vibe.

Carolyn said...

I love that striped fabric, it does look very colourful and pretty and your windbreaker solution is perfect!

Joy said...

So interesting - and I think it turned out very pretty. I hope that fabric isn't too bad, because it's a great print for the style.