I was a bit surprised when I saw Vogue 1306 in their spring line up. I thought that frills had finished their fashion moment in the sun, but seeing as I hadn't got around to making a frilly top, and I thought that shoulder frills would be flattering, I did buy the pattern.
I made it up in a remnant of rayon lycra knit. I used my coverstitch machine and binding attachments to do the binding. This did not turn out perfectly, and the binding seems to be gathering in the fabric a little too much. I'm not sure how to correct this, except for stretching the fabric a little as it feeds. I have had this problem with rayon lycra knits previously.
The top demonstrated some pretty ugly fit issues under the frills.
Part of the problem was that I did not cut off the seam allowances before binding. If you look at the back armscye, you can see that it has a straight edge and not a curve. I think this may have been a lovely shape in a lightweight woven, and given that I went down a size, I am wondering if the pattern was designed for wovens and not moderate stretch knits, as the pattern envelope indicated. Anyway, I took off the bindings, cut the curve to match my t-shirt sloper and had another go at binding.
Here you can see it paired with a skirt that I made pre-blogging days. I love the fabric and colours of the skirt. It is a velvety knit. I'm not sure how old it is, but I remember it to be John Kaldor fabric, and a quick google search has revealed that John Kaldor stopped selling fabric in Australia in 2004. I think that the skirt is actually a couple of years older than that.