Last week I had a quick trip to Brisbane and I finally got a chance to visit The Fabric Store, where I discovered the New Zealand patterns "Papercut Patterns". So funky! I bought a couple of patterns straight away and one of my sisters bought another couple, with plans that we will swap and have a very groovy wardrobe indeed. I think we bought most of the Spring Summer Collection between us.
Since I am on a knit binge this week, I made up the Oh La Leggings. These ones are from a thin fabric, so they will be worn under dresses which will not show the interesting design lines, but I will definitely make this one again in a heavier fabric for sportswear.
Fabric: I can't remember the content of this one. I think it might be viscose. Very stretchy. Doesn't hold stitches very well. I should have tied off my overlocker threads as all the seams are unravelling!
Sizing: The size chart is on the pattern sheet. I would have liked them to be included with the pattern instructions, as I read through these when preparing to sew something. I fell between a S and an M. I cut the M, but I took them in at the knees, the ankles and the front waist section, so maybe I should have cut an S for such stretchy fabric.
On the pattern my sister made, she ran into a bit of trouble because the finished measurements weren't printed on the pattern and she is a little on the short side.
Instructions: The instructions come in a little booklet. I had no problems with them. The patterns are printed on brown paper in multiple sizes. I used an overlocker for the seams and my coverstitch machine for the topstitching. 1 cm seam allowances are included in the pattern.
Alterations: I did have to shorten them a little. I put cuffs on the bottoms instead of hemming, because I thought that cuffs suited my fabric better. I took them in behind the knees, which was easy to do because of the seam that ran down the back of the leg. I took them in at the ankles. I messed up sewing the fronts. I marked the fabric but these marks didn't show when I went to sew and I forged ahead regardless. The seams didn't go together right. I cut off the overlocking instead of unpicking, but then the seams didn't match because the curved seams meant that the seams lengths changed with this cutting. I fiddled and fussed and then added a seam to the CF of the waist section, which ended up improving the fit for me anyway.
The only problem I have with this pattern company is that their unique packaging means that the patterns don't fit nicely into my new pattern organisational system. Sigh.
I also bought a pants / shorts pattern and a top / dress pattern. Hopefully I will get to these soon so I can share some more of this exciting new pattern company with you!