19.8.11

Hello Yellow


I think that I've mentioned before that I need a few yellow clothes to wear to my children's sports days, which is why I nabbed this Milly knit from EmmaOneSock.  I started with a pattern for a raglan t-shirt, cut off from RTW (shown in this post).  I used the scraps to make that thingy bit on the front.

I'm loving the white trousers, but I've really had to work to wear them.  They were a bit tricky to sew in the first place.  Then the buckle broke and I redesigned the top closure to do away with a buckle.  After that they shrunk almost 4 inches in the wash.  I kid you not.  I had pre-washed the fabric before sewing and I had even put them through the wash previously without shrinkage.  I suspect that in my climate, the drying time affects the shrinkage.  On really humid days, when the washing doesn't ever seem to dry properly, I don't get as much shrinkage as windy, dry days when the washing is dry in an hour or two.  The fabric wasn't labelled when I bought it, so now I am wondering if it had some tencel in it, as that is my only other experience of such drastic shrinkage.  Luckily for me, I made the originals with a really deep hem.  I have let all of that out and just have the tiniest turn-up now.  If they shrink again, I'll have to wear them as capris.


The clutch is one I adapted from Nicole Mallalieu's new book "you sew, girl!".  I was going to do a review of this book, as it is rather interesting and I have picked up a few tips from it, but that will have to wait, as I lent the messenger bag I made to a friend who is going overseas and won't get it back for about 6 weeks.  I  borrowed the book from my library but I am thinking of buying a copy for myself.  The book includes patterns for bags, belts, children's clothing and directions for patternless clothing for women.

15 comments:

Audrey said...

Great yellow and white print. The outfit looks really nice on you. Clever idea to add the cowly thing with scraps. When you get tired of it, you can remove it.

Uta said...

Your outfit looks great!

Rebecca said...

I love the yellow and the print. The top is well designed too. Good job!

Rachelle said...

Gorgeous top and a great outfit. I clicked your link to see the pants pattern and when I blew up the pic I noticed a little foot belonging to someone tucked in behind Mum. So cute! My youngest is in middle school this year. You forget how they just have to be near you like that.

kbenco said...

Very smart sports day outfit. I have been wearing the same electric blue dress to sports day for um 11 years now. It does not look very smart these days.I don't wear much blue!

Sew-4-Fun said...

Gorgeous top and outfit!

Sue said...

I am loving yellow and white at the moment and absolutely adore your top! The 'thingy bit' on the front looks great.

Bernice said...

Very nice. I like that 'thingy' in the front.

Gail said...

Oh yeah!!! I wear white trousers all summer long and love love love the yellow and white top.

Myra said...

I really, really love this top and your "thingy" makes this top oh so elegant! Very nice job!

I never thought I could wear yellow, but just made a yellow top too and now I'm in love with yellow!!!! Yours, is definitely a beautiful one!

liza jane said...

I love yellow. Yellow is a great color on you! And yes, I've had experience with tencel shrinking like crazy, too.

meli88a said...

I love that top. The fabric, the cut is great. Altogether with the white pants, and this is a perfect summer outfit for a field day!

MySummerTouch said...

I love this top! Looks like a designer t-shirt all because of "that thingy bit on the front"! Will you blog what exactly did you do? Just sew a scrap of any form to the upper edge?

jacquie said...

Great top. I loved that Milly fabric when I saw it and it looks fabulous in your tshirt. Ouch that must have been disappointing with the trousers shrinking - thank goodness you had enough length to work with. I've had a similar experience with a viscose spandex fabric and it shrinks differently every time grrr.

Joy said...

Lovely top and I'm liking the yellow and white too.