20.6.09

A grey weekend



I have started my winter basics. These fabrics arrived from Tessuti on Wednesday. I washed them Wednesday night, cut them Thursday and sewed them Friday and Saturday.

1. I copied this shirt from a Country Road t-shirt that I bought a few years ago. I like the raglan sleeve cut. It is a swing-style tee, but there is more an illusion of fullness rather than actual fullness, with gathers only at the centre front and sleeves. I also like that the yoke width varies...narrow at the sides, moderate at the front and deep at the back. The sleeves and bottom are not hemmed. Instead, a coverstitch is sewn around the circumference, about an inch from the bottom. I can't tell you what the fabric is, because the one I wanted wasn't in stock, and Catherine just selected one for me. It is very light, which is perfect for this style, but it isn't super-soft.

2. The organic smoky cotton / elastane used for this t-shirt is super-soft and stretchy. I used my own t-shirt draft.

3. I made this tank dress from leftovers from the leggings fabric, which was 160 cm wide. I wish I knew that I was going to take the leggings in a tad, because I could have done with a smidge more around the hips.

4. I ended up modifying my leggings pattern to use the crotch seam from my Marfy jeans. They fit just about perfectly, maybe I could take them in a little above the knee and let them out a little around the calf. I put little zippers in the ankles. If I wanted to make treggings or jeggings, I now have a pattern...but ironically, if I had legs that would look good in treggings, then I wouldn't need to make my own pattern. I should be able to tell you what the fabric is, but yet again, I have misplaced the samples in the shamozzle that is my bedroom. It is a medium weight, stable knit with spandex. I have just worn them out for a few hours and they are warm and comfy with no sagging or bagging at the crotch or knee.

Now sadly, grey is not a colour that looks very good on me. I knew that before I started, but grey is so much more sophisticated then brown. To overcome this, I plan on wearing them with coloured accessories, coats and jackets. This is how I wore them today.

10 comments:

Bernice said...

Gosh! You have been busy! I think they all look great! We'll definitely have to do a Gwyneth-inspired photo shoot when I visit. Colour is a must in the tropics anyway!

Gail said...

Love the look. How do you get so much done!

Mary Nanna said...

very nice, grey is such a sophisticated colour - this has urban chic written all over it.

Catherine said...

Great productivity! I think you look great in Grey judging from your photo here. It is strange to hear about you sewing for winter when we are just getting summer underway in the UK!

Melinda said...

Wow, if only I could sew that fast! I love grey as well, it has a sophisticated French look about it. My colouring is similar to yours and grey isn't my best colour but with a bit of lippie on it looks fine. I think it really suits you.

gwensews said...

You were sewing like the wind girl! Those area great basics. Love the top with the gathers. If you feel you need some color with the gray, you could add a brightly colored scarf along with your other accessories.

Liz said...

You are really good, these are great and I love the colors.

EmilyKate said...

Oh my gosh! FOUR items in a weekend! I bow down to you! They all look lovely.

Mon Café Couture said...

such a nice grey colour, I like them all, I love the simple but chic and cozy style you choose for these tops.

Nancy K said...

I have a lot of gray fabrics in my stash so your wardrobe definitely appeals to me. I love everything and it works fabulously well together. Since scarfs are so big that's a great way to add color near your face.